Hen contemplating her own creation....

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Rhombicuboctahedron


One day, someone at work remarked in passing that her favorite 3D shape was the rhombicuboctahedron, so I took that as a sign that I should try to make one. That evening, I hunted around on the internet for instructions for a modular origami rhombicuboctahedron, found something ostensibly workable, and off I went. It took 4 frustrating hours to make this - 24 units and a very tough assembly. I ended up taking my half-built piece apart and rebuilding it several times before I got it right. Or sort of right, at least. The colors are supposed to be arranged so that it looks like each band is one continuous piece of paper, but I just couldn't get it to work out right, so I finally gave up and just slapped it together willy-nilly. Not the neatest folding either, and the inside is a mass of tape. Oh well. Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment