Hen contemplating her own creation....

Monday, April 12, 2010

Multi-Colored Cherry Blossom Kusudama


My very first cherry blossom - this is a very popular piece invented by Tomoko Fuse. Just Google Ms. Fuse's name and "cherry blossom" and you'll see what I mean -- everyone who has ever completed one of these has apparently felt compelled to share their success with the world by posting a photo of it on the internet. (I'm no exception.) Plus you'll find lots of sites with video instructions, so if you want to make one, hunt around a bit for the video that seems most understandable to you.

This piece took me several days to do all the folding and assembly, but it was totally worth it. I even spent the extra time to make the little yellow inserts, which are basically glued in after the base shape is completed. It was with this piece that I discovered that you can listen to NPR and still have enough brain cell wattage left over to fold origami units. Streaming audio of "Morning Edition," "All Things Considered" and "Car Talk" made the long hours spent on this piece fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment