Hen contemplating her own creation....

Friday, April 16, 2010

Five Intersecting Tetrahedra


This is my first all-out origami defeat - the Five-Intersecting Tetrahedra.

The initial set of instructions I found to construct this piece came from the Rick Beech book, "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Origami," and from that, I was easily able to construct the units. However, the assembly was an unmitigated nightmare, and I just couldn't figure it out from the book. I searched desperately on the internet for different sets of instructions, and I did find several - even a couple of YouTube videos - but alas, none seemed to be able to convey how those final two tetrahedra were supposed to be weaved into the three previously interlocked ones. GRRR. The videos were especially frustrating - they would jump around and skip the critical actions that needed to be taken to find the right insertion points.

Sigh.

After working on this for several fruitless days, I put the whole mess on the mantle over the fireplace, where its incompleteness silently mocked me for about a week before I crumpled the whole thing up and threw it in the recycling. Someday, someday I am going to come back to this and WIN - I swear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment