Hen contemplating her own creation....

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Two Traditional Classics


While I prefer doing modular origami, there are two traditional origami patterns that I love - the Japanese crane and the lily. Both, I believe, have been around for centuries, and anyone who does origami with any dedication will at some point learn these two figures. I have done them so often myself that I have the steps committed to memory.

For an extra challenge, I made these out of very small sheets of paper. You can see the penny for a size frame of reference.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun hobby, Mia!
    During the layover at Narita Airport last month (enroute to Taiwan for Irene and Daniell's Beidou wedding banquet), I happened upon an origami exhibition put on by the Nippon Origami Association. The most prominent display was a cherry blossom festival comprised of hundreds (maybe even thousands)of origami pieces. More impressive, however, were the individual pieces which ranged from objects made in the traditional styles to modern abstract art. Even more astonishing were the cranes. There were several displays of multiple cranes folded from one single piece of paper--the highest number was in the 30's! What to me was most fascinating was a series of cranes that diminished in size, from small to tiny to miniscule to microscopic. The smallest one was a mere speck, and could only be discerned as a crane by using a powerful magnifying glass.

    XAY

    ReplyDelete